Minnesota Epilepsy Group is the largest and most comprehensive adult and pediatric epilepsy program in the Midwest. As a regional referral facility, we are the recognized leader in treating epilepsy and other seizure-related conditions in infants to the elderly. We are a national, state-of-the-art, Level 4 epilepsy center committed to enhancing each patient’s quality of life and maximizing seizure control. We are seeking a detail-oriented, organized medical coder/biller to join our team. In this position, you will play a key role in accurately coding and billing healthcare claims in order to obtain reimbursement from insurance companies and government healthcare programs.
Medical Billing Specialist Duties and Responsibilities
- Reviews medical record documentation to identify all services provided by physicians
- Report missing or incomplete documentation
- Assign appropriate procedure codes and modifiers to accurately report the physician services provided to patients
- Assign appropriate diagnosis codes to accurately support the need for each physician service
- Accurate claim entry and submission
- Payment posting for physician’s services into EMR software including co-payments, insurance payments and payment payments.
- Process insurance or patient refunds
- AR aging and collection activities
- Resolve billing issues identified by insurance payers and patients
- Investigate and resolve payment denials and process appeals in a timely manner
- Serve as a resource regarding insurance resolutions and coding questions
- Work with the Patient Registration department to ensure proper information is received for claims processing
- Follows coding guidelines and legal requirements to ensure compliance with federal and state regulations
- Performs additional duties assigned
Medical Biller Requirements and Qualifications
- High school degree or equivalent
- Two (2) years of medical billing experience
- Experience with insurance terminology, products, notices and explanation of reasons for payment, adjustment, denial and/or uncovered charges of a medical claim
- Understanding of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology
- Ability to work independently or as an active member of a team
- Strong computer skills as it relates to data entry, utilizing insurance portals/websites, Microsoft Office and electronic medical record software, preferably eClinicalWorks (eCW)
- Detail-orientated, 10-key skills, math ability, accurate PC keyboarding and data entry skills.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and manage time efficiently
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to evaluate processes and make suggestions for improvement
Minnesota Epilepsy Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Type: Full-time